These are the rules:
1. When you are triggered and feel the urge to cut, take a marker, pen, or sharpie and draw a butterfly on the location in which you normally harm yourself. (thighs, arms, wrists etc)
2. Name the butterfly after a loved one, someone you look up- or someone that really wants you to get better. If you feel as though there is no one. Give the butterfly a special name. My suggestion : Hope; Because we all need a little hope every now and then.
3. You must let the butterfly fade naturally (flying free on its own). NO scrubbing it off.
4. If you cut before the butterfly is gone, you’ve killed it. If you don’t cut, it lives (it survives).
5. If you have more than one butterfly, cutting kills all of them.
6. Another person may draw them on you. These butterflies are extra special. Take good care of them.
7. Even if you don’t cut, feel free to draw a butterfly anyways, to show your support. If you do this, name it after someone you know that cuts or is suffering right now, and tell them. It could help. (x)